Hi my lovely friends!
Persian lime or sweet lime, also known as ‘mosambi’ in Urdu or Hindi, is a fruit found mostly in the south-east Asian region. It belongs to the citrus family of fruits and looks like a mix of lime and oranges, yet is greenish-yellow when ripe. It tastes sweet and a bit sour, however nothing like lemons nor lime. In spite of being citrus, it is not acidic. Sweet lime juice is very popular in Pakistan due to its taste, however, we are always unaware of the numerous benefits such fruits provide us with. Let’s take a look at what they are:
- The intake of sweet lime increases secretion of digestive juices, acids and bile, thus aiding in digestion and other gastrointestinal problems. It also helps relieve diarrhoea, nausea and vomiting.
- The fruit contains dietary fibre and therefore helps get rid of constipation.
- It has a high content of Vitamin C so it prevents scurvy.
- Sweet lime improves the overall heart function, ensuring better blood circulation. This and the Vitamin C boosts the immune system.
- It has anti-cancer properties.
- Again, due to high Vitamin C, it prevents inflammation and swelling. This brings relief from osteoarthritis and rheumatoid arthritis.
- Sweet lime juice reduces cholesterol and blood pressure levels.
- It cures urinary disorders by flushing out the kidneys and bladder thanks to its high potassium concentration (490 mg per serving. Our body requires 2000 mg per day.)
- Because it is not acidic, the juice provides comfort to heartburn and acidity.
- With its liver function boosting properties, this juice is highly recommended to jaundice patients.
- A combination of sweet lime juice, cumin seeds and dry ginger powder brings instant relief to asthmatic cough.
So as you can see, there are immense advantages of consuming sweet lime, especially in juice form as it takes about three of these limes to make one decent serving size. It is great for pregnancy and otherwise as well. I personally enjoyed having this juice a lot in my pregnancy. It was super refreshing and eased my continuous heartburn towards the last few weeks. Plus, it’s really yummy!